Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Nonesuch# 98 Best Singles

In my last post I listed my favorite albums that I had listened to the list year. Now, are for the single songs that I have listened to over and over. I tried to not have overlap with artists from the Best Albums but sometimes a song will just stay with you.


3Style - Way U Move

Hip-Hop from Scotland. What more can I say?
With lyrics like:
"I'm Batman, I'm Living the nightlife" and the infectios chorus "all alone, you and me, we get so tipsy"(think I got that right)members G, KS, and Ally have under their belt a solid first outing.
3style


Athlete - Wires
From London, this 4 piece group releases their first single "Wires" from their second album, Tourist. In a style similar to some Stone Roses tracks(not from Second Coming), Coldplay, and Radiohead, singer Joel Pott wears his emotions on his sleave and doesn't give a damn. Nice intro to their music.
ATHLETE


Ben Folds - Bitches Ain' Shit
Who else could take a gangsta classic from Dr. Dre and turn it into a sympathetic spotlight on a man done wrong by the very objects that he want to impress with his lyrical madness, women.
"She found herself short, now she's taking me to court. That's some real conversation for your ass."
Ben Folds


Slim - Cortez and Pizarro
Slim, sometimes a one man acoustic/electric guitar act and sometimes a band, leeps out at you with the first track off his Interstate Medicine. With spanish guitar pickings surrounded by rocking bass and drum/percussion line, tells the story of the Conquistidors or as he says in the first lines, "Way way way way long time ago, before I was before I was born that's all I know....". Nice quitar work in the middle has kept me comg back for more this one.
Slim
Thanks to Accident Hash for introducing me to the music of Slim


Bright Eyes - When The President Talks to God
Take a listen, read the lyrics. Rinse, repeat.
Bright Eyes

No comments: