Tuesday, February 05, 2008

suchnone #373 Day 8 Christmas Eve, Christmas and Boxing Day

I want to apologize for not updating more often the past week or so. Work and real life have been getting in the way.


Christmas was very relaxed. Christmas Eve we had chili or was it lasagna, it was one or the other as tradition for PSP and his wife on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We opened presents after breakfast I think and then watched Christmas movies (Elf, Polar Express and one other) and TV the rest of the day. To mix things up I had one beer and then drank Green Goblin ciders the rest of the day. By the way, every drink I have had from Wychwood Brewery is fantastic but I have yet to find any in the States.

Boxing Day was ridiculous. Why I agreed to go out first thing in the shopping I am not sure but we did get to see parts of Birmingham I really wanted to see. After shopping for a new coat for PSP we boarded the bus to go to the side of town where he works. It is there where the two towers that inspired Tolkien's Two Towers are located. They are on the same road, not too far from each other and just down the road from the church he attended as a young boy. One tower is Perrot's Folly and the second is part of the Birmingham Waterworks.


Perrot's Folly


Birmingham Waterworks Tower


On the way back to the apartment we stopped in at the local pub the Patrick Cavanaugh for a few pints before heading back to the flat for dinner, a few more pints and to watch the End of the Year News Quiz.



Birmingham and Moseley pictures

Next: Day 9 Travels to Manchester and Haslingden

2 comments:

Vi said...

Well there you go, that's a fact I didn't know about those towers!

Jonathan said...

yep, if PSP had not been living in Birmingham and working near the towers I doubt I would have ever known that they existed.