Monday, January 13, 2014

3 Words 2014

3 Words 2014

I started doing this last year after reading C.C. Chapman's post about his three words. To be honest I am not sure I followed those three words the entire year and/or remembered to put the things in action I said I would Nonetheless I am doing it again this year. 

Persistence - I tend to not follow through on things that I want to do for myself whether it is reading or photography or hiking. The "I am tired" excuse is lame. Sometimes 5 minutes is more than enough time to accomplish something and it ends up being less time spent than coming up with reasons not to do it.

On the work side of things, I block progress of ideas/project/improvements I would like to see implemented (see fearless section below).  The more people that hear the ideas the more likely things are to be adopted. 

Preparation - I spend hours/days/weeks planning for a game session that may last 24 hours over a weekend BUT I spend hardly any time planning for my life: the future, let alone the daily. I want to change that and I know it may take a lot of time to do. After 40+ years of not doing, it will take some getting used to doing.

I have found that I do not reflect on the year that just ended as much as I remember the bad things and the things I see as failures. Reflecting means adding in the good things but it took lots of time to get some of those in my head and onto paper. 

Fearless - I have lived most of my life in fear. Fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of being afraid. It is cyclical. So many times my memory is some variation of  "woulda coulda shoulda" instead of I am glad I did that or I am glad I said that. I want to change but I at a loss as to how. After 40+ years of doing things this way I feel stuck in a groove that is very deep and I see no ladder to climb out or shovels to dig with.

But all journeys start with the first step or in the least: 3 Words.


No comments: