Monday, August 18, 2014

Monday Storytime 

Realized last week it has been 25 years since I left home to go to college. In someways it certainly does not feel that long ago and in other ways it feels like lifetimes ago. And in many ways it has been. I was going to be an actor. Went to a Junior College to get my grades up and was going to transfer to a senior college to pursue acting after receiving my associates degree.Someday I would be on Broadway. Or at least off-off-Broadway.

I have not been onstage since Spring of 1991. "Big River" was the last show I did. I had a great time acting but it all feels bittersweet now. I left for the wrong reason.

A girl. It is always a girl.

She did not like the idea of me being a romantic lead in a show, not that I had ever been one up to that point. I played the supporting characters that helped drive the story, never the main actor in anything I was in.Yet, she fretted over the possibility that at some point it would happen. We had several arguments over it. Really it was one of a series of arguments we had starting about 6 months after we started dating. The next 2 1/2 years would be mostly arguments. Both of us afraid of being alone. Ended up at times being more alone by staying in a relationship that lasted years too long.

Lost contact with her 3 years after I graduated college.

No comments: