Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Nonesuch #15

Scott, one of my closest friends, his Mother died last week. It was expected but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with, well at least for me. Over the past 7 days, I have had many memories come flooding back from over the past 18 years I have known her. I spent a lot of my senior year in high school at his house...we were supposed to be studying world history(the truth comes out) but we spent much much time watching movies, playing early video games on his early computer, was it a Tandy or IBM or did he have both? We always had plenty of food, junk food mostly: Fudge Rounds from Little Debbie, Brightleaf hotdogs, chips, cookies, high octane tea...good stuff. But, D&D was the game of choice in that house. There was a basement there where we would play. Several tables full of gaming books, boxes, miniatures etc etc. We played on a pool table, it worked perfectly for gaming. A dozen or so people could fit around it and we all would have enough space to play the game. There were a few times we had that many but mostly it was 5 or 6 folks, 4 being the core of the group. 2 of us still play regularly. I can remember playing all weekend, almost nonstop. Also on weeknights when we could. There was an open area where we played Death Hockey, I think that is what it was called. I cannot remember the rules to save my life but I do remember the blue dragon that was painted on the wall. There was an Axis and Allies game but I dont remember if we ever played that. We even made our first boffer weapons in that basement, some of us used table legs wrapped in pillows and blankets. Ryan used pvc pipe and pipe foam. Who would know that that was what is used in NERO/LARP. I cannot remember how long ago that was...may have been when we were in collge. I remember when they sold the pool table...it was an empty feeling...sure we had another table to use but it was not the same, just not the same.
The more I think I am changing, I am pretty much the same as I was when we played D&D in the basement, watched bad movies and played Pirates on that old computer...

No comments: