Wednesday, August 01, 2007

nonesuch #335 day after

The James Morrison/Ben Folds/John Mayer concert last night was very good. Here is a breakdown:

James Morrison - think he is English, need to check on that but, had a nice guitar based pop sound. He only played 30 min so by the time I was into what he was doing he was done. Will check out his myspace page. Links coming soon.

Ben Folds - long time fan of his stuff, was not disappointed. Well, wish he had had more than an hour to play but still he played a good number of my favorites including:
Army, Landed, Not the Same, Kate, Still Fighting it and closed with Bitches Ain't Shit which was awesome hearing a crowd of mostly teeny boppers singing early 90's Dr Dre gangsta rap in some cases the song being older than those singing. Tried to get a few pictures but they did not turn on the big screens so all of them he came out very small and not worth showing anyone.

John Mayer - not as familiar with his stuff as Ben Folds but I still enjoyed his show. Sally said he played all his hits and I could tell the audience was into it bu I just couldn't get into his pop radio friendly tunes BUT, the last two songs he did were amazing blues based rock songs invoking Stevie Ray Vaughn and Eric Clapton. For me, if his entire show had consisted of songs like the final two I would have enjoyed more.

Overall a great concert experience. Would go see all three of them again.

4 comments:

Random Musings said...

I am glad you had fun at the concert.. there is nothing like a GREAT concert!!

Kelli said...

I love some Ben Folds. Takes me back to college. Well..the brief period of time when I was at college. :) Glad you had a good time!

Vi said...

Tep, James is a brit. He's okay.

Jonathan said...

Vi- thought so, never did look it up. I think he was just hitting his stride when his time was up.