Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Nonesuch #106 - Interesting

I finally did some traveling which I have been thinking about for the past 3 months. Going to see places and friends that I have not been to or seen in quite some time. First of all, I met a friend in Greensboro adn we went to one of my favorite places to eat, Yum Yum's. It is a hot dog/ice cream place. The same family has been making ice cream at the same store since 1906, 100 years. I think they make their on hot dogs as well, I know they used to but not sure if they still do now. You go to the counter, give your order and they are made right then, no pre-made dogs. I ordered 2 with mustard only and an orange soda. My friend got her hot dogs and a Cheerwine, in a glass bottle no less! Who has any sodas in glass bottles anymore. I instantly wanted a Cheerwine. Next time...I finished my 2 hot dogs and went and ordered 2 more. They are that good. The hot dogs are all beef, taste home made, fresh - made the same day hot dog. The taste is not too overpowering like some hot dogs can be. And they are liberal with their toppings. Though I had only mustard on mine, there was plenty of it. My friend got her's all the way, mustard, chili, onions and I think there were more toppings but hard to tell since there was so much on them. The buns are steamed(is that correct?) to perfection. Ah, little slices of heaven, yes.
Then we went on to Durham, which is where my friend now lives. She bought her own house about 5 months ago and this is the first time I have seen it. Didnt do much there but watched movies. It rained all weekend. I lived in Durham for about 7 years when I was younger. Just realized that we moved there 30 years ago this coming December...I feel so old now. Anyway, we did get to drive around some and I saw the house I lived in, the church my Dad was minister of and one of the schools I attended. And people have said it before, but things were so small, much smaller than I remember. And things had changed, what places do not, but things had not changed that much as I could not pick out places and go, "Oh, a McDonald's used to be there"
It was a nice getaway, I needed it. I plan to do more of this. I need to do these things. I like my house, I am a homebody, but there is so much to see and do and food to eat. I didn't even mention the other three places we ate this weekend. I will do so in future posts but will tell you what they were now, Q-Shack, Elmo's Diner and Guglhupf Bakery, three incredible places to eat. Hmm, is this turning into a food blog? Maybe once or twice a month....

No comments: