Tuesday, January 15, 2008

nonesuch #368 Day 3 British Museum, British Library and Wesley House

I have a cold so that is why I have not updated since last week. I wanted to do an update a day about my trip but that just did not happen. Anyway, I am picking up on day three.
We did not need to wake up as early on the 3rd day. By then I had adjusted to the time change and the early sunsets and later sunrises. We ate breakfast and made our way to the train station to buy my ticket to Birmingham. The station was near the British Museum so it was not out of the way. I could have stayed in the Museum all day, well no, but for many days. We just did not have the time. Each room had something else I wanted to see. The highlights were, the Parthenon and the Rosetta Stone. Again, will not go into details but here are a few pictures that stood out for me.













British Museum Set

When I do go back to England, the British Museum will be one the first places I revisit and I will give myself an entire day or more to see as much as I can.

After 4 or so hours at the Museum we set out for the British Library. We were not allowed in the main part of the Library but they have a rare books room containing copies of Shakespeare's Folio, William Blake's diaries, the Beatles original lyric sheets(napkins, letter, poetry, diaries), and the Magna Carta. Pictures were not allowed in the room and I do not know why I only took one picture of the outside of the building but I did take a picture of the statue that is near the entrance.



My Father is a retired Methodist minister so the visit to the Wesley House was special. My Dad went to England in the 70's but I am not sure if they got to the Wesley House or not but below are few of the pictures I took there. John Wesley was the founder of Methodism and with his brother Charles who wrote some 9,000 hymns spread their "method" of worship.







Across the street from the Wesley house is a graveyard where at first I thought the Wesleys were buried. Just their Mother, Susannah is buried there but we found there were others buried in this little graveyard in the middle of the city. William Blake, John Bunyan(Pilgrim's Progress), The Cornwalls, and Daniel Defoe are all buried there.

The sun was setting and the graveyard was closing so we left out the other end and went into a pub for a few pints and some rest. After an hour or so, we headed back to our room at the hotel and then went to a nearby pub for some food and more pints. I had fish and chips and many pints of Guinness and London Pride. PSP had a veggie burger I think. It was our last night in London so we wanted to make the most of it. We wanted to close the pub down but that didn't happen but we were close.

Day 4 - Tower of London and off to Birmingham

2 comments:

Vi said...

You've seen more of london than I have, and I lived there for 6 years!

Jonathan said...

Vi - I feel like I just scratched the surface of London. Places I did not see include: Big Ben, Parliament and Buckingham Palace. Guess they will be on my list for next time around.