Thursday, January 10, 2008

suchnone #367 Day 2 Walking Tour of The City of London

We woke up early to make the 10am walking tour of the City of London. The tour started at Tower Hill just across from the Tower of London. As you can see from the pictures, it was a clear day. A clear day but chilly and a bit windy from being right on the Thames. PSP and myself were clearly the oldest members of the tour by at least 10 years. The tour guide was Australian and had lived in London 7 or more years. He was a good storyteller and kept the 3hr tour interesting with many stops along the way.

I will not go into minute details about the tour but will show pictures of the stops that stood out for me.


World War I Memorial at Tower Hill




Close up view of Sundial at Tower Hill.



Monument to the Great Fire of London



Part of the Roman London Bridge built in 75A.D.



Tower Bridge




St. Paul's Cathedral





Globe Theatre




Temple Church


This link takes you to the rest of the Walking Tour of London pictures I took.


After the tour we walked around Covent Garden looking at the street vendors. We then headed into the Theatre district to find the theatre the Lord of the Rings Musical was playing in and the restaurant we were to have dinner in that evening. After finding both, we headed back to the hotel and then to a local pub for a few pints. I had promised a friend I would have a London Pride first but I went for a Guinness and yes, it is true, the Guinness is so much better there than in the States. It is smoother, no bite, very tasty.

Dinner was in an upscale pizza place called Fire and Stone. With the ticket package we got, we had choice of pizzas and a free cocktail which we could only get a seabreeze which is ok but really wanted a beer with the meal but anyway. The pizza was very good. I got the Sydney - Which is crisp oven-roasted smoked bacon, free range egg, shaved smoked ham, mozzarella, Fire & Stone’s tomato sauce, basil & chives. Will definitely go back there if and when I get back to London. The musical, not so good. I had read some not so pleasant reviews and I can see why. I do not want to go into detail, but it had problems. But, I am happy I did get to see it. The special effects were awesome, best part of the show. And the story is by Tolkien so that part was good. If anyone would like details of the show, let me know.

We headed back to the hotel. PSP went to the chip shop on the corner and got an order of chips and a few candy bars to eat before we went to sleep.

Up next: Day 3 British Museum, British Library and Wesley House

4 comments:

Vi said...

I love the tower bridge shot! As good as a postcard!

Jonathan said...

Thanks! I took that picture from the London Bridge planning to take a picture of the London Bridge from Tower Bridge but we never made it back there.

kiwigirl said...

This is making me a little London home sick!!!!!!!!!! (which very very rarely happens!).

K

Jonathan said...

kiwigirl- I was only there 4 days, I want to see more of London. Guess it would take maybe a week to hit the all the areas I would want to see.