Wednesday, June 03, 2015



Paper Towns new trailer

Arguably this book has effected me more than any other book I have read in the past year. I would even say that I have liked other books better. John Green gets so much right in this book. Q, the main character, feels, well like I did when I was in high school. The difference? One, I was in high school going on 30 years ago and two Q did things that I could not do, then or now. He has balls as I said in another post about this book from last Fall. He went for what he wanted, doubting along the way, but he never folded to those doubts. 

**Spoiler Alert**


He does not get what he was after. 


Such is life. The point is, he tried when so many of us give up shortly after the thought of doing something HUGE and out of our comfort zone.




--------

In other news, it looks like my hot water heater is down for the count. Hopefully someone will be coming out at some point today to have a look. Just annoying. Again, it is the things I have no control over that bother me the most.


Finally, for several years now on Wednesdays I have been listening to the re:joyce podcast done by Frank Delaney. Each week Mr. Delaney reads a passage from Ulysses by James Joyce. He breaks down the passage, which can be anywhere from 2 to 3 sentences to several paragraphs. As he says, some passages are so dense there are so many things to unpack. His insights have really helped me to understand Ulysses and even though I have read, it never felt like I knew what was going on. Mr Delaney believes this project will go on at least 20 years even if he starts doing two or more podcasts a week. Currently we are in Chapter 6, Hades. A link to his blog and the podcast will be on the right in the list of Online Readings.


I will leave you with this quote from Paper Towns, "It's not a party if there's a tuba." - Radar

No comments: