Monday, May 09, 2005

Nonesuch #37 - Live and Learn

My wallet was stolen and I know who did it. They(it was two of them)
used my American Express at a couple of gas stations and tried to use it at Walmart but Walmart caught them, denied the purchase and alerted American Express who cancelled my card immediately. I didn't know that till the next morning(Friday) when I called American Express and they told me. They put the stop on it immediately so I didnt lose anymore money than that. Plus, American Express' insurance will cover the purchases I did not make. I had to cancel that card and they will be sending me another. I also called the sheriff, who came out to make a report. I called my bank who cancelled my Visa check card and put a flag on my account in case it
was tried to be used again. I called Equifax who has now put a fraud alert on my record for the next 90 days and if I want, can put one on for the next 7 years which I will probably do. They also contacted the 2 other major credit score companies and they have put alerts on my records there.

My wallet had not only my credit cards but my drivers license(sp), SS# card and $1 amoung other items. I called my medical insurance company and Blockbuster to let them know that my information for them had been stolen. Blockbuster cancelled my account which I had not used since 1999. A co-worker came and took me to Albemarle to get a replacement license. Just some crazy shit. You try to help someone and this is what happens.

I do hope they get caught but I am sure I will never see my wallet and
all my stuff again.

Long story short, I helped a girl out a few weeks back. She came with a friend to the house Thursday night and wanted to borrow more. I didnt have it. Her friend needed to use bathroom, he distracted me and she took the wallet. That is my guess but I am pretty sure that is what happened. Walmart and American Express ROCK!! But now, my SS# is out there somewhere, probably on the side of the road. That is what scares me. SS administration knows about it and has made a flag as well.

So much to cover with this. I hope I covered it all. I asked a friend who is a policeman for the police side of things and a bankerfriend for the banking/money side if there is anything else I can do. Both said that I had covered all my bases. Rumor has it that they have been arrested and that Walmart will be pressing charges as well. I have been checking the local papers each day to see if they have. Now, all I have to do is wait and hope they get caught.

No comments: