Monday, September 12, 2005

nonesuch #75

So much going on in the past few weeks hadnt really had time to process things let alone get them down on the page. Some of the things going on:


Start of the semester: Always a busy time, feel like it is busier this year for some reason. May be because I dont feel like I had much of a vacation this year. The brain never got its rest. And I really need one, a vacation that is. Working on homecoming in less than 2 weeks. It is my Father's first 50th reunion. he will have another in 2 years. More on that later.

Katrina: I dont know if I can put into words my feelings. I have never been to New Orleans, always wanted to go, at least once. It's one of those places that tugs at you.
The lack of response by FEMA just blows my mind. For four years we have been told the country is prepared, we are safe, everything is in control and then we have this happen. Just ridiculous. But if you look at the patterns, you will see that these are the same problems we have seen in Iraq: lack of planning, no real structure from the top down, excuses after excuses AND no one gets fired for their expansive and deadly mistakes. Well, that may change with Michael Brown. You know, you can say whatever you want about this man's credentials, his previous work experience (Arabian horse judge controller and he gets fired from that?) but it really reflects on the Bush Administration for selecting him and making him head of FEMA. Is he the only one like this in the administration? According to TIME ( I think) 5 of the top 8 at FEMA have no previous disaster relief experience. Shit rolls up hill.

Gas prices: I saw gas prices rise $1.15 in one day to a high of $3.54 two days after Katrina hit. Why would they raise prices on gas they had already bought at well below $2? Greed, I dont know any other word for it. And now they are saying the prices will drop as quickly as they rose. I dont think so. Prices will never get back down to where there were. Things like that just dont happen. And with higher oil/gas prices, the increases get passed on to everyone of us in the form of milk prices, airline tickets, heating costs whether you use oil, coal or electricity, clothes, compact discs, plastics and on and on.

FEMA Chair resigns

John Roberts: http://www.supremecourtwatch.org/

Not only he is not a good choice for Chief Justice, he is not a good choice for a seat on the Supreme Court in the first place. Enough said.

9/11/2001 -
Only 4 years ago, it seems so much further than that. Are we safer? Will another attack perhaps larger and more devatating than before occur? No and damn I hope not.


Message from Michael Moore


Cindy Sheehan - http://www.bringthemhomenowtour.org/


"And if you want to find me I'll be out in the sandbox, wondering where the hell all the love has gone."

No comments: