Monday, September 18, 2006

Nonesuch #209

**Update**
Got this from Pop Candy:

The return of WOXY?

Pop reader John E. has been keeping me updated on the possibility of WOXY.com returning to the airwaves. It seems investor Bill Nguyen is interested in integrating the defunct radio station with Lala.com, so keep your fingers crossed.

Keep an eye on the WOXY message boards for developments. In previous posts, Nguyen has said he'd like to make the station free with higher-quality audio. DJs would retain complete editorial control, and the new station would include more exclusive in-house performances. It all sounds good to me -- let's just hope it's not too good to be true.


I think this would be very cool. I really hope it goes through.


Last Friday afternoon, at 5:35pm, woxy.com signed off after 23 years, 17 on the radio waves and 6 online. The vintage channel which they called "your Modern Rock primer" played last May's Modern Rock 500 each day from 9am-5pm playing 100 songs a day. Many songs that I had forgotten about were played, many many from my youth and college days. Band and songs that I swore I would always listen to and of course as time passed, I let them slip off my radar. I was a relative newcomer to woxy having not lived near Cincinatti so I can only really say I was onboard for a year maybe a little more. I saw a link to it on a blog(imagine that) and went there and had been listening ever since. On the regular channel from what I can tell, the last song was MC5-Kick - Out The Jams.
Below is the playlist for the last 100 songs of the Modern Rock 500. There came a time somewhere in the 40s or so, I knew all the songs they played. Not only knew them but was very familar with them, own the songs, albums etc. I hope I can find a new station, website or something to listen to. I had planned to comment on each song but have not had the time. I may repost later with comments on each song. But you know, some if not most of these songs, there just isnt more to say other than listen.

100 - David Bowie - Suffragate City
99 - The Cure - Lovesong
98 - The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army
97 - Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend
96 - Patti Smith Group - Dancing Barefoot
95 - Gary Numan - Cars
94 - Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
93- The Jesus And Mary Chain - Just Like Honey
92- Nirvana - In Bloom
91 - The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop
90- U2 - With Or Without You
89 - Siouxsie And The Banshees - Cities In Dust
88- Folk Implosion - Natural One
87 - Elvis Costello - Alison
86- The Afghan Whigs - Rebirth Of The Cool
85 - The Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go
84 - Talking Heads - Take Me To The River
83 -James - Laid
82 - Nine Inch Nails - Closer
81 - Blondie - Rapture
80- Devo - Whip It
79- The Psychedelic Furs - Pretty In Pink
78 - David Bowie - Changes
77 - Modern English - Melt With You
76 - Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way
75- Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give It Away
74 -Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays
73 - Oasis - Wonderwall
72 - Jeff Buckley - Last Goodbye
71 - The Cure - Just Like Heaven
70 - Camper Van Beethoven - Take The Skinheads Bowling
69 - Beck - Where's It At
68 - The Clash - Rock The Casbah
67 - REM - Losing My Religion
66 - Elvis Costello - (What's So Funny 'Bout)...Peace Love and Understanding
65 - Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees
64 - Velvet Underground - Pale Blue Eyes
63 - Smashing Pumpkins - Today
62 - Pavement - Cut Your Hair
61 - Stooges - I Wanna Be Your Dog
60 - Beastie Boys - Sabotage
59 - The Dead Milkmen - Bitchin' Camaro
58 - Bob Marley - Get Up Stand Up
57 - New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
56 - Woohoo - Blur
55 - Nirvana - Come As You Are
54- Talking Heads - Burning Down the House
53 - Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
52 - Patti Smith - Gloria
51 - Pixies - Here Comes Your Man
50 - U2 - Pride (in the name of love)
49 - Bjork - Human Behavior
48 - XTC - Dear God
47 - Faith No More - Epic
46 - My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow
45 - Pearl Jam - Alive
44 - Weezer - Undone (The Sweater Song)
43 - REM - Its the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine
42 - Blondie - Heart of Glass
41 - Nirvana - All Apologies
40 - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge
39 - Husker Du - Makes No Sense At All
38 - Bauhaus - Bela Lagosi is Dead
37 - Beastie Boys - Fight For Your Right (To Party)
36 - B52's - Rock Lobster
35 - Jane's Addiction - Jane Says
34 - Fugazi - Waiting Room
33 - Sonic Youth - Teenage Riot
32 - Pixies - Where Is My Mind
31 - U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
30 - The Police - Roxanne
29 - Depeche Mode - Personel Jesus
28 - Lou Reed - Walk On the Wild Side
27 - Elvis Costello - Radio Radio
26 - Nine Inch Nails - Head Like A Hole
25 - The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
24 - Radiohead - Paranoid Android
23 - The Clash - Train In Vain
22 - David Bowie - Space Oddity
21 - New Order - Blue Monday
20 - The Breeders - Cannonball
19 - The Replacements - Alex Chilton
18 - Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
17 - Pearl Jam - Jeremy
16 - REM - Radio Free Europe
15 - Television - Marquee Moon
14 - Beck - Loser
13 - The Stone Roses - I Wanna Be Adored
12 - Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen
11 - Pixies - Monkey Gone to Heaven
10 - The Clash - London Calling
9 - Radiohead - Creep
8 - Violent Femmes - Blister In the Sun
7 - Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing
6 - The Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedated
5 - Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
4 - U2 - New Year's Day
3 - Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK
2. Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
1. The Smiths - How Soon is Now

4 comments:

Kelli said...

That made me sad..and I had never even heard of that station. Its always sad when something ends. There are some really great songs on that list!

Mummy said...

where is Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody. Thats a surprise its not on there. Sounds like a cool station, i cant get in to listening to radio online, maybe cos im still ancient dialup girl.

Jonathan said...

JD - I think Bohemian Rhapsody is considered Classic Rock, well, at least by this station. I am sure it would have been on the list if it was a classic rock countdown. You cant get much better than Bohemian Rhapsody or Queen.
I just got rid of my dialup in July. Its a whole new world.

Anne - Yeah. From what I read on the site, they just couldnt afford to run it anymore even with donations. The website is still up so I can still have hope but I dont think it will come back.

Kelli said...

*operator voice*: Jonathan? Oh Jonathan? This is your one week reminder. We need a new post here. Jonathan? Jonathan?

Okay. Seriously. I know Im a pest. :)