Monday, October 08, 2007

nonesuch #351

Thursday - Get up early to take car in for inspection sticker, oil change and to take a look at the fan blower. I am there about an hour and they come out and start going down a list of things that have to be done or serious trouble could happen in the next 25,000 miles or less. Words like timing chain, cooling system replacement, main cooling fan not working, kitchen sink not working(ok that one just through in cause well I wanted to) ends up just about everything was touched, replaced and updated except the engine, breaks and clutch. Car will not be ready so I can go to work that afternoon/evening. Have several meetings that day so cannot be late. Have to get rental car. I will say that Enterprise car rental is awesome, at least the one in Greensboro. Great folks, quick service, not a bad car and for $30, a 24 hour rental, unlimited mileage. Anyway, would have to come back Friday to pick up my car. Looking at around $1000 parts and labor.

Friday - Again leave early in the morning. Arrive at Enterprise, turn car in, they take me to the car dealership. When I arrive they tell me the other cooling fan needs replacing so I say, go ahead. It will take an hour to finish. I do get to watch Saved By The Bell, Zach and Kelly's Vegas Wedding while waiting.
About an hour later, the car is ready and I see the total cost, little under $1300, most of my savings. Savings that I had been setting aside for 18 months, spent in less than 24 hours, savings for my trip to England. Needless to say I am bummed in the most major degree. What was I going to do? I had maybe $300 for 3 weeks in England. It could be done but I would be eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, curries and red beans and rice the entire time with maybe a pint a week as a treat. I do that at my house. Yes, it would be in another country but not really how I had imagined the trip. We had already talked of cutting things before this but now it would be threadbare indeed.

Friday afternoon - I get a call from my Dad. He and my Mom had said they would be giving funds to help on my trip for my birthday and Christmas. They had said this well before my huge car repair bill. On the phone he said how much was the total car bill. That he would pay for that so I would not need to use my savings for my trip. I am right back where I was before. It was a very long 24-26 hours. Up and down indeed and not in the good way.

Saturday - Woke early, played lord of the rings online all day. College football served as background noise. Games are pretty much on for 12 hours.

Sunday - again, woke early, played lord of the rings online all day. NFL football served as background noise. Another 12 hours of football. Fell asleep during the night game.

My exciting life...

4 comments:

CrazySpanishGirl said...

wow, for a moment I thought you lost the trip! It's nice your parents could help you.

Jonathan said...

Up until 4:30 Friday afternoon I was thinking the same thing or like I said in the post, a very streamlined version of a trip to England. I was not expecting them to do this for me. I even tried to talk him out of it and then I said to myself, shut up and let them do it hehe.

Vi said...

yeah, let them do it! Yay parents!

Kelli said...

Thaqt sucks about the car Jonathan..stuff like that always piles up just when you think you have things under control. Im glad your parents helped you out...Im really glad you are still green light on the trip. You are gonna have so much fun.