Friday, May 26, 2006

Nonesuch # 152 rebar or

About 13 years ago when I was living in Greensboro, NC, my roommate at the time and my ex-girlfriend went to a band showcase at I believe Kilroy's on West Market Street. They had gone to see a band which I cannot even remember their name now, that we all liked the sound. I cannot remember why I didn't go, it may have been work related or I may not have moved back to Greensboro yet after graduation. Anyway, my roommate came home telling me about this band called rebar that sounded "like nothing he had heard from Greensboro or the area" (I quote him but not sure if that is exactly what he said). Over the next 2 years(or more) we tried to catch rebar everytime we could at whatever venue they were playing in Greensboro. I purchased their "or" tape which included 5 or 6 songs, their whole set at the time, which was recorded over another tape of a group which I also cannot remember now. Some of the best $5 I have ever spent. I cannot really describe the sound, it reminded me of Velvet Underground, it was so different from what was coming out of the Greensboro scene at the time(Bus Stop, Ben Folds Five etc). I have always said that a sign of a good band is their ever evolving live show. I don't think we heard their songs the same each time we saw them. They released a couple of 7" singles: one entitled Crunchy Record Stuff - 001 "The Burn"; the second a split record called Crunchy Record Stuff 002 with The Raymond Brake (another great Greensboro band in the same vein as rebar) on the other side. I think my roommate has those singles, not sure though, haven't looked at my vinyl in a long time with no record player. The rebar lineup consisted of:
Sanders Trippe
Brent Dunn
Masa Koyama
Jae Skaggs
Sometime in 1995 or 96 or even later, rebar ceased to exist. I have looked and I just don't know what happened.
For some time now I have been looking for all things rebar. Up until yesterday, all I had found were old sites including these: rebar, Duck on bike:rebar. Both have mp3s available but the second site is more straight forward. These songs give a good respresentation of their sound back in the day.
Now, yesterday I was looking at my google alerts that I get for Ben Folds. One link entitled "Not your regular county fare" caught my eye. It was written by Jennie Thompson, who also runs a music blog rock static. Very nice site, check it out sometime. Looking at her links I noticed the link to the Flying Anvil a new, well new to me music venue in Greensboro so I clicked the link to look at the schedule about 3/4 way down I found this VETIVER
Vetiver is the band that Andy Cabic, of Devendra Banhart's band (Hairy Fairy), fronts. Once a Greensboro resident, Andy has formed a band consisting of Sanders (Allnight), Brent (Rebar), and some dude from NY playing drums. This will be their first show of their East Coast tour. I was ecstatic, I had found half of rebar who are now playing with Andy Cabic formerly of The Raymond Brake which even got me more excited. They will be in Greensboro July 13 2006. I went out to find out what Vetiver sound like and it is a change from what both rebar and The Raymond Brake were doing 10 years ago, but it is still great music along the lines of Jose Gonzalez and Iron and Wine among others with the neo-folk sound.
Vetiver is an American folk band headed by songwriter Andy Cabic and often joined by Devendra Banhart, cellist Alissa Anderson, and violinist Jim Gaylord. - wikipedia But as you can see from above Brent Dunn and Sanders Trippe are also members at times.
msnbc's Independent study posted an interview with Andy yesterday calling Vetiver "Unconventional folk...With melancholic minor chords and tender string accompaniments, Vetiver's songs sketch an air of mystery and convey a certain timelessness". By Steven Leckart
I have been listening to Vetiver all morning. They have released 3 works, 2 full length albums, Vetiver (2004) and To Find Me Gone (2006) plus an EP Between (2005). Their official website has To Find Me Gone streaming for free. Also check out their myspace for tour dates and other information Check them out, you will not be disappointed. I know I am not.
Finding these musicians from back in the day still doing what they love for me is like finding old friends.

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

As of now, I planning to go see them play in July. I think it will feel like a homecoming of sorts.