Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Nonesuch #244 day 2

I was listening to npr yesterday afternoon on my way home from sally's. A show called "The Story" interviewed Frank McCourt, author, writer and high school teacher. I have always enjoyed hearing him speak but I have not ever gotten into his books. My mother said that Angela's Ashes used the "F-word" too much. Anyway, listening to McCourt yesterday afternoon once again speaking to a classroom of high school students at Cardinal Gibbons in Raleigh, inspired me. He told the students to write about things that effect them: heartbreak, what they had for dinner the night before, the simple things that one does or goes through day in and day out and that what happens surrounding the meal or the relationship are the particulars, what makes what you say unique. And it hit me, I feel the need to write and I have this blog so I figured here was a good as any medium. I have tried to write with a pen/pencil and white sheet of paper and I always came away with a some crap that sounded like the same stuff I was writing 10 years before. I was falling into that trap of "hey, this is safe. I have done this before." So, I have not even tried to do that for a number of years, too many to really count, probably 10+. With my new knowledge from McCourt, I will write about the mundane things and surround them with my particulars.

1 comment:

Mummy said...

lol - i knew my egg mayo ramblings would one day be supported by an inspiring writer like mccourt. my mum has met him and thought he was incredible too. what a life he had growing up!

im liking this extended writing thang Jonathan!