Monday, January 01, 2007

Nonesuch #243 my new year's eve

I had an uneventful new year's eve but I did spend it with my good friend sally and her mother. Here are the details:

I left home yesterday around noon. Had to go by the library to print something out. I had been to the store(side note, the marching band playing at half time of the rose bowl is playing stairway to heaven)and picked me up some guinness the night before. I had a couple with me and some pepsi. Yeah, the hard stuff. It rained the whole trip to Durham, poured a few times but mostly the pissy rain that covers the windshield just enough you have to turn on the wipers. I made good time and arrived early, sally was still at work so I text her to let her know I was there and drove around. She was to bring me a cheeseburger but it ended up that we were to meet her mother and boyfriend at bakery/cafe on the other side of town before he went on home. So, I meet sally at her house, she changes clothes and we head out. We ended up going to the restaurant that sally work which happens to be just above where my ex the cheating whore's brother lives. Anyway, we get there, we change cars(still not sure why), go to the bakery, get some baked good and coffee and end up in a bead store all before heading back to pick up sally's car and then back to sally's house where I finally had my cheeseburger. It was very good: white cheddar cheese and ketchup with homemade potato chips with ranch dressing. By the way the burger came from where sally works. I watched some football, Panthers won but didnt get into the playoffs cause tiki barber had an amazing game saturday night running mad crazy over the redskins. The saints did rest most of their starters but a win is a win. Then watched the 49ers beat denver to knock denver out of the playoffs. I think the philly/giants game will be a good one next week. Flipped some channels after and found When Harry Met Sally which has become a regular new year's eve movie. Its also one of our favorites. It went off at 9. Sally's mother began to get ready for bed as I flipped channels again and settled on a marathon of Ace of Cakes on food tv. I was sucked in, I had never seen it. Great "reality" show about a cake decorator shop in Baltimore where they do cakes Duff's way. Duff is the owner and they do some great stuff. We watched Ace of Cakes the rest of the evening. I say we but sally napped in the chair with her lap dog german shepard / black lab mix, all 70 pounds sleeping on her. I switched back and forth from Ace of Cakes to ABC which was showing the Dick Clark New Year's show with Ryan Seacrest. It was awful with fergie doing something close to lipsyncing and christine aguilara singing right before the ball dropped. Of course I was in to the Ace of Cakes and I dont know if they completed the dinosaur cake they were working on. I guess I can check the site out and see what I can find. So, I woke sally up and we watched the ball drop in times square and then we went to sleep. Well, she did but I went and played Scrabble on my laptop and checked out blogs for updates. Of course no one was one but really I was early in looking since Anne posted right after I shut the computer down and Joie a little while after that. I did have a guinness but we did not open the champagne. I never settled down, did not get much sleep. The covers kept shifting, i was warm even with a fan on me, not to mention the fireworks causing the dogs to bark for a few hours. I did sleep some but even with my messed up sleep patterns it was not enough. Anyway, that was my new year's eve. Today, they cleaned house while I watched tv and hung out with her dog. I left around 1, got in around 3, had a sandwich and then took a nap. Still worn out, do not feel rested after 12 days off from work. I feel I need more time, a vacation. Well, I am planning a vacation. A close friend and his wife are in school at Warwick University in England and when they get settled they want me to come see them, spend a few weeks this summer. Right now, they are in Jordan where he is doing field work for his PhD but they should be back in the spring. All I need to do is get my passport and then get the tickets. They said they would pay for my tickets but I said no, lets go halfsies. We are all on budgets. So, I guess I have something to look forward to. I have only been to Canada and only flown on an airplane twice, so 10+ hour flight(or so) will certainly be interesting for me.

No comments: