Thursday, June 14, 2007

nonesuch #320 music from my 18th year

Stole this from Vi and Eileen. I added the links to the songs. So if anyone wants to do this, here are the rules:

1. Go to the Billboard #1 Hits listings (scroll down and you’ll see them separated by decades on the left in the sidebar)

2. Pick the year you turned 18.

3. Get yourself nostalgic over the songs of the year.

4. Pick 5 songs and write something about how these songs affected you.

5. Pass it on to 5 more friends. But since I do not tag folks, if you want to do it, go ahead. If not, that's cool. I am not the boss of you.


Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
In a sea pop/top 40 junk that I could no longer listen to came Guns N' Roses. Really liked Appetite for Destruction, was the soundtrack for most of '88 and '89. My friend Dwayne would put this on in his Jeep and a bunch of us would cruise around downtown of the town we lived in and around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-AYAv0IoWI

Red Red Wine - UB40
Was going through what I thought at the time was girl problems. I really had no idea but it seemed big at the time. Shoot everything was a major problem at 18. Red wine became drink of choice until I found liquor later that year. Beer came much later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg1iEBWxVeQ

Need You Tonight - INXS
From the best album these guys put out. I am singing the song in my head now. The album has Mediate right after. Take that back, watching and listening to the video on youtube. Also whenever I hear INXS I think of Lost Boys, which I watched a lot during this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL7FY7rwVtQ

Faith/Father Figure/One More Try - George Michael
I had this whole album. In fact I have it still on tape somewhere but haven't listened to it in years. I can remember my band director playing "One More Try" over and over again. I heard he was having woman problems, well I was as well so it fit the times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XesXjkDLImg

Wild, Wild West - The Escape Club
The local huge top forty radio station would not play this line from this song:

give me give me wild west
give me give me safe sex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQt89ATKYC4

So it created a place in music history for me. They had the year before refused to play George Michael's "I Want Your Sex". That turned me to the classic rock station and then I found 120 minutes in Mtv and found alternative music before it was called alternative. The Smiths, The Cure, Love and Rockets, New Order. But of course, these guys never made it onto the Billboard Charts.

1 comment:

Vi said...

I;m such a HUGE inxs fan. We'll play it constantly when you visit while drinking vodka