Thursday, April 12, 2007

Nonesuch #291 The sun ain't nearly on the rise and we still got the moon and stars above.

I was looking at my birth certificate today. I had to get a copy that had the raised seal of the county where I was born in order to apply for my passport. I realized that I am the same age my Father was when I was born. I have no idea why that makes me feel old but it does.

A commentfest over at Kiss and Blog got me thinking about an old friend/girlfriend. Girlfriend is not the right label, Summer Fling is better. I had known her for years, she was the little sister of one of my friends who I played D&D with way back in the day. In fact she had played D&D with us occasionally. It was one of the things where; yeah, she is attractive and plays D&D AND actually talks to me not down to me like other girls. So when we, on her birthday no less, started making out(snogging), needless to say, I was surprised and elated. We stayed out in the front yard and kissed and semi-danced to Eric Clapton's Slowhand album(Wonderful Tonight, Peaches and Diesel) until she had to go in. This was during band camp(don't say it) and we all had to get up early. I had graduated and was helping out with band camp at my old high school. We hung out the rest of the week, I was at her house or doing something with her until she went off to another band camp. We wrote letters for awhile and then they stopped. I wasn't sure what happened until a few years later. I got a letter from her saying that she was sorry for the way she had treated me, she was young(hell, we both were) and didn't know what to do when she had found a guy that was what she was looking for. Now, mind you, I was seeing someone when I get this letter. I don't get why people feel the need so many years later to write and say stuff like that when they know you are dating someone. Maybe its easier to do when you know the other person is attached so there is little that can come of such a revelation. We kept in touch for a few years and then lost touch again. I have no idea where she is now but I hope she is doing well. She had a lot of good things going for her so I have a feeling she is doing alright.

12 comments:

Vi said...

Oh you knooooooowwwwww, it's got to be said. 'One time, in band camp...' So what instrument did you blow?

Jonathan said...

I started out on trumpet. Then I got braces and switched to French horn and percussion. I played xylophone and glockenspiel mostly. Then my family moved and the band at that school needed low brass so I played baritone/euphonium for 2 years ending up with tuba my senior year in high school. I haven't played in 18 years now.

And yes, the girl from my story played flute...

CrazySpanishGirl said...

Before I went to the US for the senior year, someone told me I should take my flute with me, since that could make it easier to get involved in something, whatever. I signed up for the band and then orchestra, and I found the best friends ever! We were considered... well, you know well, but we had such a great time together. We never cared what others thought of us.

My friends in Spain laughed to much when they saw pictures of me with the band uniform!

So I like anyone with a marching band past.

CrazySpanishGirl said...

oh, and thanks for adding me to your link list. Really appreciate it.

Unknown said...

There's somthing about the idea of a summer fling that's delicious.

Like a ripe peach.

Jonathan said...

wombat - with her being a natural redhead it was more like a strawberry.

CrazySpanishGirl said...

yippee! thanks for adding me to the blogs you read list. I will do the same right now! Not because you did it, but because I really read your blog too.

Jonathan said...

csg - you are welcome and thanks for adding me as well. I really got interested in what you were posting when you said you would run for local government. And the other stuff is interesting as well. :)

CrazySpanishGirl said...

I never thought being a candidate would interest anyone. And it's only for the local council! Wow, I'm already feeling a bit more like Robert Redford :D

Virginia Belle said...

yessss! you used the word "snogging". i love that! high fives!

i don't know why people come out of the woodworks like that either. it's like the FIRST day you stop thinking about them, THAT'S when they try to re-insert themselves into your life.

extremely frustrating.

Virginia Belle said...

and yes, summer flings are.....just wonderful, really.

as long as you know it's a fling before you get started, anyway.

Jonathan said...

VB- Snogging just sounds so much better than making out.

That was not the first time someone did that to me, just the one I remember fondly. At the time, I was hoping it was not a summer fling, she was and probably still is a catch, big time.