Tuesday, July 31, 2007

nonesuch #333

Bill Walsh 1931-2007
Changed the way football(american) is played, is watched and is talked about. Credited with bringing intelligence to the game where in the past it was seen as nonthinking man's game. Coached the 49ers who I hated since they always beat the crap out of the Panthers(NFL teams) but now I so respect what he did for the sport. Above all, just a great person. He will be missed.

Ingmar Bergman 1918-2007
Perhaps the most influential director of modern movies of our time. "Fanny and Alexander", "Smiles of a Summer Night" and "The Seventh Seal"(which I am partial to) are all must sees.

Tom Snyder 1936-2007
Pioneer of late night talk show, "fire up a colortini, sit back, relax, and watch the pictures, now, as they fly through the air." Godspeed Mr Snyder.

And as I was typing these up I just saw, Michelangelo Antonioni,1912-2007, director of "Blowup" and "L'Avventura" (The Adventure)died in Italy just hours after Ingmar Bergman. Of all of his films, I recommend "Blowup", but really you cannot go wrong with anything done by him.

2 comments:

Vi said...

I'm not holding my breath about oz. The ex is dragging his decision out, and by the time he makes it, it may be too expensive for my dad to afford. saying that, if I do go, I'm back on the 30th dec. You are staying till Jan aren't you?

Jonathan said...

Yes, I leave on the 3rd of January so either way there should be time to see Blah. Will send you the schedule when I get some info from my friends near Manchester.