Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Nonesuch #129



How does one go about telling a girl who has been a long time friend that you have always had "feelings" for her? I guess this is a continuation of "The Friends" post from a few weeks back. Of course there is always the "I never thought of you that way" and the easy let down. Or, the chance that she has had thoughts similar to yours...Is it worth risking a good friendship that has lasted years? The chance that you lose the friendship totally is very real and I think that is what happens most of the time in real life.
How would one even breach the subject? "Oh, by the way...you wanna date me?" Not sure it happens that way. Maybe its the one too many movies from the '80s syndrome I think a lot of men and women my age have. You have a situation where you have two friends, male and female, where one has a crush on the other but cannot tell the other and somehow within 2 hours, it has been uncovered and when the credits roll, they are seen kissing and we are made to believe that they live happily ever after. Well, at least till graduation. "Some Kind of Wonderful" is the perfect example. I think "Pretty in Pink" it happens there as well. All I remember is that Duckie should have ended up with the girl in that one. And I think there are others but cannot think of them right now. I think I have gotten my point across, well sort of.
It is all about taking risks, isn't it?
Maybe it is just easier to not say anything at all, let the feelings stay inside, never take that chance - never get hurt, again.

No comments: