Tuesday, May 01, 2007

nonesuch #299 I drove to Chicago, all things go, all things go

I didn't really drive to Chicago, I flew, but that is the only song I could think of at the moment to fit the postings. Now, right of the bat, I didn't get laid. The drought continues. But on to the trip details. I made it to the airport in about an hour, really good time considering it was the end of rush hour and there was a lot of traffic on the road, just not going the direction I was.

Got on the shuttle, made it to the terminal, already had my boarding pass printed out so got out my license and made my way to security. They took my laptop, gave it the once over, asking me a few questions about operating systems, which ones I used etc. Basically some small talk and probably some security questions thrown in to make sure I knew what I was talking about. Got the rest of my bags and made my way to the Gate. And then the waiting began. About 45 min before we were to board the plane, they announced that due to weather delays we would be leaving at 3:00 instead of 12:55pm, so at least 2 hour delay. We finally boarded around 2:25 with a departure time of 3:03. We all made good time loading the plane and as we were getting ready to head out to the runway, they pilot announced we would have another 1 hour delay and if anyone wanted to exit the plane to wait in the terminal he would go back. I don't think anyone did so we proceeded to the runway. Meanwhile, the guy in the seat next to me ended going to the same conference as I and actually works just down the road in a similar position as myself. So we talked "shop" for the flight, once it took off, and hung out at the conference. He is also going to help us with a few projects in the coming months.

We finally get to O'Hare, it is rainy and windy(of course) and maybe 50 degrees. About a 20 degree drop from where I left. I then went to look for my shuttle pick and I ended up walking all around O'Hare looking for their desk maybe 30+ min, finally found it and shortly after, the driver came and took a group of us to his van and we headed off to the hotel. Now, I had plans to meet folks to go to Medieval Times that night but I had no idea when or where I was to meet them or what. By this time it was after 5 and I just wanted to get to the hotel, check in and make my way to Medieval Times. Which I did, put my bags down, went outside and took a cab to the castle. Some of the best $70 I have ever spent. Good times, good food, a beer or two was had. But never did meet up with the folks. I found out later that the woman who organized it couldn't go and had left a message for me at the desk but I didn't get it till I checked out. Oh well. I sent her an email telling her what happened. I come back from that and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is on HBO. So I watch that and that is when my TV starts to act up. It would turn itself off oh every 20 min or so. Once the movie was over, I was watching the poker championships and it happened a few times so I decided to turn it off. But, until midnight, it would turn itself on every 10 min just long enough enough to wake me up. Scary stuff. A friend said had I ever heard of "Poltergeist"? Not funny I tell ya.

Woke for first day of conference and made my way to breakfast. And who should I see but CW, or at least I thought it was. It was a girl I had met at the conference last time I went that looks just like her. And now they look even more alike. Granted it has been over 2 years since I have seen CW but kinda hard to forget what the woman you were going to marry looks like. They say we all have twins, but why does my exes twin have to be in the same profession as I am and attend the same conferences? I know, the clone/twin is not her but not only do they look alike, they talk, walk and act so similar it is just nutty. BUT, the clone/twin is pretty cool. A group of us from this area went to dinner Thursday at Woodfield Shopping area(the largest in the country)and then we all hung out at the reception Friday night.

The sessions were great. I learned a good deal of stuff that I have brought back to show my co-workers.

They fed us very well, snacks at every break. Breakfast and lunch provided for us with dinner at the reception provided. Plus, beer, wine and for the first time mixed drinks provided for us at the reception. I had one of each of the mixed drinks and then settled in on miller lite till they closed down. I was looking forward to a hangover but it didn't happen.

Saturday, the conference ended late afternoon. I took a cab to the Woodfield area I think to Portillo's for a couple of Chicago style hot dogs. Incredible, I got a regular and chili dog. Ate one there, took the other back for late night snack/breakfast. I also had Chicago deep dish on another night I was there. Not a bad meal was had at all.

The room was very nice. The hotel being maybe a year old had very little wear and tear. I have some pics to load to show you all some of the hotel, my view out my window and a few other things.

It was good to get away for awhile but it is good to be back, just in time for final exams and graduation.

3 comments:

CrazySpanishGirl said...

'final exams and graduation'? are you a teacher?

glad you enjoyed your conference too.

Jonathan said...

No, I'm a librarian/archivist. Well, I guess librarian is a kind of teacher but I don't have any classes.

Mummy said...

oo, doppleganger sighting. i hate that... it freaks me out . i have met my own doppleganger too, its tres freaky. bummer u have to see ur 'ex' at these things!