Friday, May 11, 2007

Nonesuch #305 The Apple Dumpling Gang

Apple Dumplings

Ingredients:

2 (16 ounce) cans refrigerated biscuit dough (I use Pillsbury® Grands! butter Tastin biscuits)

4 apples - peeled, cored and quartered

1 cup white sugar

1/4 cup water

3/4 cup apple cider (non-alcoholic kind)

1/2 cup butter, melted

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (You can add more for flavor)


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F (175 C)

2. Butter a 7x11 inch baking pan (I used Butter Flavored Pam when I ran out of butter) Seperate biscuit dough in to 16 pieces by splitting the biscuit in half and then in half again. Flatten each piece of dough into a circle. Wrap each biscuit section around each apple quarter and place seam down in the pan.

3. In small bowl, combine sugar, apple cider, melted butter, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour mixture over dumplings in pan. Bake 35-40 minutes until golden. For more flavor, sprinkle cinnamon on top of the dumplings once you remove them from the oven.

Try with a side of vanilla ice cream.

4 comments:

CrazySpanishGirl said...

bugger, we don't have canned refrigerated biscuit dough in Spain!

Jonathan said...

When I was typing this up yesterday I though that folks outside the US might have problems getting some of the stuff on the list. If you know how to make biscuits you can make the dough for the dumplings. I can post my mother's biscuit recipe if anyone is interested. I use the canned dough just for ease and speed.

CrazySpanishGirl said...

I'll ask my mom. She's a cook, so she should have some good recipe for the dough.

Jonathan said...

yeah, she'll know. She may know a sweeter dough that could be used as well. Let me know.