Friday, May 25, 2007

nonesuch #311 A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

(cue intro music)

30 years ago today, Star Wars was released. At the time it first came out I did not see it in the theater. It would be 3 years later when Empire Strikes Back was released that I got to see both. But I already knew the Star Wars story. It was all my friends talked about, we all had the action figures and other toys, the star wars underoos, toothbrushes and so on. I look back now and Star Wars really change my life. I know that sounds cheesy and I am sure others have said the same thing. But for me, it went like this. Absorbing all things Star Wars led to me wanting to read The Chronicles of Narnia which I saw at a Scholastic Book Fair when I was in 3rd grade. When the animated The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe came on TV, I heard of another animated special, The Hobbit which after watching it, I read the book which led to The Lord of the Rings. So, here is this 9-10 year old trying to read this massive story which I did but it didnt mean so much to me as it would later. Lord of the Rings led me to D&D where I could play an elf or halfling and all types of things in between, just let me imagination go. I do not remember when I found out that Lucas was a fan of Tolkien and CS Lewis. It may have been when I was 9 or it could have been later in high school. Anyway, D&D and Star Wars took up pretty much my teen years. In fact we played a Star Wars roleplaying game about as much as we played D&D back in the day. We would talk about the movies, argue on when Leia fell in love with Han and vice versa, what exactly was Yoda, and when more movies would be made. In college, I pursued acting for a bit, sometimes thinking about being in Star Wars movies or Lord of the Rings movies. My love for myth and stories led to my eventual degrees in Classical Studies and Religious Studies. During my senior year, my advisor suggested I look at library school. I did not have the language skills needed for a Classical Studies master's. 4 years later, I went to library school with a focus on special libraries hoping to work in a Divinty School Library. It was in Library school I found Archival studies a perfect fit for my love of history and the skills I was gaining in Library School. So, here I am an archivist, really enjoying what I do and as silly as it seems, I do give credit to Star Wars and the way it open my eyes to so much in the world.

And I do not live in my parent's basement...


anymore.

Get off my damn lawn

5 comments:

Vi said...

To this day, I haven't seen ONE Lord of the rings movie all the way through. I keep falling asleep (and found the books to hard to read as a kid!)

CrazySpanishGirl said...

I read the Hobbit and loved it. I think I must've been 13 or 14. Then I tried Lord of the Rings, but I found the first 100-150 pages too boring. I tried again and again and again, and couldn't go further than that. Then I saw the movies, loved them big, and so decided it was time to read the whole thing because now I knew it got a lot better after those 150 pages.

But I quit again. I can't believe it takes that fucking long to get out of the Shire! Those singing hobbits took my patient away!!

My favourite books ever are the Drangonlance Chronicles trilogy.

Jonathan said...

Vi - I love the lord of the rings movies, have seen them many times but I have a point in the first one that I always fall asleep as well. I am not proud of it, hehe.

csg - Dragonlance is great. Must have read the books a dozen or more times. I have some of the graphic novels, not all, of the first and second books. I understand that an animated movie(s) are being worked on.

Emi said...

You should come down and see where it was filmed. Tis quite pretty. And I haven't ever seen a LotR all the way thru. But its on the agenda.

Jonathan said...

Pipa - Visiting NZ is on my list of things to do. One day I will get down there. Got to get to England first, hehe.