Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Nonesuch #158 shepard to lost sheep, shepard to lost sheep




From the Onion's
Inventory: 13 Memorably Unpopular Characters From Popular TV


Coy and Vance, The Dukes Of Hazzard


Ah, scab characters. They get their own special category of fan hatred. They don't even have to be repugnant in their own right—they just have to step in as inadequate or generic replacements for characters that the fans actually enjoyed. Coy and Vance were harmlessly bland look-alikes who replaced Dukes Of Hazzard regulars Bo and Luke Duke during a fifth-season salary dispute; once the contract issues were ironed out, Coy and Vance magically disappeared. What didn't disappear was viewer disgust over the entire awkward swap. See also such most-hated also-rans as Barney Fife's short-lived replacement "Warren" on The Andy Griffith Show, Mrs. Garrett's longer-lived replacement headmistress on The Facts Of Life, Mulder and Scully's replacement agents Doggett and Reyes on The X-Files, etc.



The appearance of Coy and Vance really messed with my head as a kid. Had Bo and Luke really gone off to NASCAR to race? They were both good drivers...who would be the main driver or would they switch off as needed or would one be the pit crew leader. I always saw Bo as the driver in my mind with Luke the behind the scenes man, he was more like Uncle Jesse of the two. I always wondered, were Bo and Luke brothers or were they just cousins to Daisy and Uncle Jesse was uncle to them all? And were they not related to Cooter in some way? Second cousins? So much to think about...

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh my..I forgot all about them. I kind of wish you had let them stay forgotten! :)

Jonathan said...

Me too, but since I came across it, I felt I had to share so I would not be the only one that had to suffer. :)

Jonathan said...

It seems Daisy took a liking to them though. If I remember correctly as soon as the salary dispute was over, Coy and Vance left and Bo and Luke returned. Don't even think there was storyline to say why. Looking it up, Coy and Vance stayed the whole '82-'83 season. Now, if only we can find out what happened to Cletus...
And for everyone wondering Dukes of Hazzard 2 will be released in 2007.

Kelli said...

Okay..just because I am tacky..but arent the blond ones pants a bit tight in that particular area?

(I re-wrote that 4 times trying to clean it up..that is an PG as I can get it!)

Jonathan said...

ummm well it was the early 1980s...
and we don't see what Catherine Bach's other hand is up to, hehe.