Thursday, June 29, 2006

Nonesuch # 173 So come up to the lab and see what's on the slab. I see you shiver with antici.............pation.

The experiment is complete. After a couple of weeks of promises and real life getting in the way, I made the peanut butter hot dog creations last night. I took pictures for posterity.

I got my ingredients together: Ball Park hot dogs, Sara Lee whole grain white hot dog buns, Kraft shredded sharp cheddar cheese, Simply Jiff peanut butter and French's mustard.






As I microwaved the hot dogs, I prepared the buns with the peanut butter. I put a good coating of peanut butter on one side. I then decided to only put mustard on one of the hot dogs so if it was really bad with the mustard I could have at least one that I could enjoy.



Once the hot dogs were done, I put them in the prepared buns, sprinkled the cheese on both sides of the bun surrounding the hot dogs. I carefully placed them on a aluminum foil covered cookie sheet and set them under the broiler for 1 and a half minutes or so, just to make sure the cheese was melted and the bun was a bit toasted.







I let them cool off just a bit. Nothing like hot peanut butter and cheese to burn the roof of my mouth, let me tell you. I sat down with a glass of lemonade as my drink of choice hoping that it would clean my palate if my creation was just nasty. I bit into the one without mustard first...
Not bad at all. The peanut butter blended it with the taste of the hot dog, actually bringing the hot dogs flavor to the forefront. Then I took a bite of the one with mustard. It tasted better than the one without. The mustard added a certain spiciness to the mix that the first one lacked.



I finished the one with mustard first. The one without just didnt taste right after having the mustard flavor of the second one.

So, they turned out to be pretty good. I will say this will not be a regular thing for me, hot dogs and peanut butter. I like them both very much but as seperate meals in and of themselves. They are quite filling that is for sure. I give the overall recipe a B+ knowing that this is not for everyone. My next experiment will a "casserole" that I came up with years ago when someone said that all I ate was peanut butter and pringles. Will let you all know how that turns out.



**Update** If anyone has any suggestions for experiments in the future, just let me know.

8 comments:

Kelli said...

Oh Jonathan..that made my tummy flip flop.

I am intrigued by the casserole though...

Jonathan said...

I have never actually made the "casserole". I have to remember all the ingredients other than the peanut butter and the pringles.

Tiffanie said...

EWWWW. I can't even try to want to wanna try that.

Can you make something better for me? Oh my goodness!

Jonathan said...

Tiffanie - Sure thing. Any suggestions?

~ Amanda X&O said...

Sounds... kind of gross. But hey, at least you're willing to try.


Something I was told to try is putting little smokies into a crock pot with equal parts of yellow mustard and grape jelly, and allow to cook for a few hours. It is supposed to be awesome, I'm just too chicken to try.

Jonathan said...

I have heard grape jelly and your favorite BBQ sauce in the crock pot is really good. Hmm, I could try both and let you all know how it turns out. Got a long weekend of free time ahead of me. :)

dragonflysky said...

disgusting, man! But it makes sense for you to finally combine all your faves into one! More power to ya! xoxo

Jonathan said...

dragonflysky-
It was better than I thought it would be but I have not rushed to make these again. :)