Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Nonesuch # 172



40 Reasons Why...

From Pop Candy a birthday list for John Cusack's 40th birthday.
Been a fan of Cusack since his early days in Sixteen Candles. Seen The Sure Thing many many times. Better off Dead is a classic. Watched One Crazy Summer with a young hippie Demi Moore not long ago for the first time in years. Bullets Over Broadway remains in my top 3 or 4 Woody Allen films. And there are many more but...
Say Anything is one of my favorite films. Seen it many times, more than I can count or can remember. It probably is the best "teen relationship" movie out there. I quote it almost as much as I quote Princess Bride and When Harry Met Sally.

From the list that stood out for me:

8. Jeremy Piven is his pal. You can spot his former roommate in One Crazy Summer, Say Anything, Serendipity, Grosse Pointe Blank and several other films. Here's hoping Cusack will return the favor with a guest stint on Entourage.

I think Piven's parents or it may be Cusack's parents ran( or still run) a theater school type of place in Chicago. When I was there a few years back, I went looking for it, but it got dark and I went back to the hotel.


40. He was Lloyd Dobler. I shudder to imagine a world without the Say Anything hero, a high-school senior wise enough to know true love was far more valuable than a lifetime spent buying, selling and processing. John Cusack is the only actor who could've fit the part, and I owe him big time for the hours of daydreams and amusement he has given me. - Whitney at Pop Candy, She says it so well.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

I am so in love with that man...of course my favorite movie ever is Serendipity. Like favorite movie ever. But I also really loved Better off Dead and of course Say Anything. I would watch anything with him in it. He is the kind of guy that you just want to know. Like it would be amazing to know John Cusack. (and not just so I could brag about it..but I totally would)

Jonathan said...

I have not seen Serendipity. I have heard from many folks it is a good one. Will have to rent it.
He seems like one of those guys you could have a beer with, have a real conversation with, well once the star-shock wore off.