Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Nonesuch #176

Random thoughts as I drink a Guinness

Ray Charles was a damn good singer.

The more I hear this "new country" that comes out these days, the more I dislike it. Give me Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Roy Clark and Buck Owens anyday.

Guinness is a damn fine beer. As we used to say, a meal in a can. But I am drinking the draught from the bottle.

I used to really like 4th of July. The older I get the less I do. Not sure why. Was really fun going to see the fireworks at Lake Junaluska. You have never experienced fireworks until you see and hear them over the mountains reflecting the lake. Havent been in years. Good stuff.
On a side note, dont really have much use for any of the holidays much anymore.

Finished my lawn today. May get up in the morning and work on my ditches out front. The May Day storm brought a lot of leaves and plugged up the pipeways. May wait till weekend when it is cooler.

My dryer died this evening. It still drys but does not tumble. I am hoping it is just a belt and I do not have to get a brand new one. I was planning to get roadrunner highspeed cable access this week but that may have to be put on the backburner. Also, there goes my tax refund. Such is life.

Was thinking, Ben Franklin is my favorite founding father/mother. I like Tom Jefferson as well. But really can connect with Franklin. The man did it all. He had so many interests and he did them all well. He had a sense of humor and was not afraid to use it. I consider him the last renaissance man.

Thats it. May go to bed early. If I do, probably will be awake at 4am or earlier.

**update** awake at 2:18am, sigh....And now for some real news:

53-Plus Hot Dogs Wins Japanese Man Coney Island Title

NEW YORK -- Takeru Kobayashi has his sixth straight title in the annual Independence Day hot-dog-eating competition on Coney Island.

The Japanese eater crammed 53 and three-quarter hot dogs down his gullet in 12 minutes, or a quarter of a wiener more than the record he set at the same competition two years ago.

Second place went to American Joey Chestnut, who choked down 52 Nathan's franks.

Thousands of spectators watched the competition at the original Nathan's Famous hot dog stand on Brooklyn's seashore.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

4 comments:

~ Amanda X&O said...

How in the hell can someone eat 53 hot dogs? I can MAYBE finish 2.

Kelli said...

I second that Amanda...

And now I cant remember what else your post was about because I am stuck on the freakishly large amount of hot dogs that man consumed.

Kelli said...

okay..I had to go back...
Ben Franklin was cool, Guiness is just too much beer for me (Im a miller lite wimp), sorry about your dryer and damn thats still a lot of hotdogs.

I bet he couldnt have done it if they had peanut butter on them..

Jonathan said...

He may only have finished half of them if peanut butter was on them. Not only did he eat 53 3/4 hots dogs, he ate the buns as well. I think that is part of the contest. In an interview some years back, I think he said he doesnt eat hot dogs at any other time of the year, just the Nathan's contest.